Can you complete/compete at the 140.6 distance w/ only 10 hrs of training per week?

Monday, July 20, 2009

Too much of a good thing...

Day 57 - July 20, 2009 - Week 8
As most of you know I am a huge fan of the Metabolic Effect (ME) strength regimen/approach. Huge fan. Last week (July 13) Sonni and I took on a very sound lower body focused sequence that was outstanding. I wanted more in fact. I have a tendency to really push myself so hard that it can take days for me to recover. Well...that is what I did last week. Post this session it took me about 5 days to find my legs again.

Moral of the story; acute training sessions can make future training unproductive.

The plans I had laid out for last week had to be modified quite a bit. Below is a very quick summary of some of the key workouts executed:

July 15 (tethered swimming)
- the goal is to work towards a continuous 500 stroke count; ~10 min continuous w/ Finis Freestyle Snorkel
- on this day I did 4 x 200 stroke count w/ 1 min recovery per

July 17 (Interactive Real Course Video - Disc 2)
- as you can see below this was not a good day
- the HR trend was slowly increasing w/ DECREASING watts
- opted to pull out and get mind focused on a solid session for Saturday

July 18 (Interactive Real Course Video - Disc 1)
- rocked the boat a bit and opened the garage door, had NO heaters on, and had the floor fan on (I needed a good workout per the sub par week)
- hit the 61 miles on Disc 1 (3 hrs and 12 min) and took a much more conservative approach; 200-230 watts
- averaged 233 watts and had an average HR of 138 bpm
- finished w/ a 1 hr run at my IM goal pace of 7:30/mile (average 7:28 pace and 154 HR)

All in all a good week. Just realizing that I can't lay it down like I have in the ME world. There will be plenty of time to do that from Nov to Feb.

Week 7 Totals:


No comments:

Post a Comment