Can you complete/compete at the 140.6 distance w/ only 10 hrs of training per week?

Thursday, July 9, 2009

FTP Fun

Day 46 - July 8, 2009 - Week 6
Amazing what one day of rest can do. Some Advil, some ice, and good old R&R and I feel like a new man. Can't neglect the fact that Anne was praying for me too. Thanks honey.

Not sure if you all do this, but the moment my eyes open from horizontal position (waking up) I begin to do a 'systems check'. What? Per yesterdays post (re: medial plica sybdrome) I dialed in on how the knee was tracking/feeling. To my surprise my knee felt great. So, the mind shifted from a recovery mindset to a 'game on' focus.

I am happy to report that this AM was chuck full of 'FTP fun'. Per my most recent 20 min Threshold Test (340 norm power, 333 average watts, 316 FTP) I took on the following for today:
20 min at 80-90% of Functional Threshold Power (FTP)
5 min recovery
20 min at FTP
...this is one of my absolute favorite workouts for promoting muscular endurance/fatigue resistance and for targeting my Lactate Balance Point (LBP). The graph below depicts this morning in the garage:

Very encouraged by the rate of recovery from this peculiar and elusive 'syndrome'. Will continue to play it smart and strongly consider testing the knee on the treadmill Friday AM.

Have a great day folks and enjoy your fitness!

2 comments:

  1. LOL - at the beginning of your post I was trying to figure out what "FTP" is...my first thought (based on your tethered swimming, ME videos, etc.) was "Feel the Pain"...I think my interpretation was better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this interpretation Jason....love it! That can actually fit this workout well...Holding your FTP for 20 can really test the mind and body....

    ReplyDelete