Can you complete/compete at the 140.6 distance w/ only 10 hrs of training per week?

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Are you listening?

Day 45 - July 8, 2009 - Week 6
I don't like to go 'off schedule'. In other words, I don't like it when the training schedule says 'go left and I have to go right'. I love the sense of accomplishment when you execute your training as prescribed. In the same breath I have been blessed w/ years of training and racing that has allowed me to learn 'the wise way'. What I am referring to is the ability to know when to say 'no' to training.

This morning I had it all laid out. The heater (set on "HIGH") at eye level about 20 inches from my face. The dehumidifier at feet level. The fan set to hit me at just above waist level and all my fueling needs within reach.

After doing 10 min on the PowerCranks (warm up) on the rollers I transitioned to the treadmill and took to it. Within minutes I knew this day was not going to flow as I intended (the medial 'bone bruise' is simply not working for me and seems to be still absorbing the 18 miler from Saturday still).

Update
: per my meeting w/
Steven Ashenfarb DC, MPT (http://www.profitrehab.com/index.htm) this AM he believes I have a medial plica syndrome of the femoral condyle. So, I think we are getting to the bottom of this stinker.

My point is this. I could have hobbled through the 10 miler I had intended to do, but I knew that I had 2 weeks of heavy training coming up (critical weeks of training). So, I opted to call it a day and 'see long term vs. short term'.

I have ALWAYS found that when I listen to my body and the amazing pain receptors that God has blessed me with I come back stronger then if I had gritted it out.

My sincere hope is that you all listen to your body and make the right decision today. As my beautiful wife says, "...it is an accomplishment to toe the line at an IM...". There is GREAT truth to that. With all the training one must put into an IM it is truly a gift to be able to show up on race day feeling sharp and strong. Train smart my friends and remember to listen. Your body is talking to you.

Side note: some of you may not know this but my dear wife (Anne, a.k.a., Annie) is also planning on hitting IML in August. She too is executing her training much like myself. The biggest difference is that I am exposing her to more road time off the CompuTrainer to make sure she gets a good mix of both. In addition, she is also devoting more time to the water. Lastly, she is doing a whole lot more 'heavy lifting' as a full time Mom to our wonderful son Luke (the toughest and most rewarding job/privilege/blessing out there).

No comments:

Post a Comment