Can you complete/compete at the 140.6 distance w/ only 10 hrs of training per week?

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Mental Game

Day 44 - July 7, 2009 - Week 6
One aspect of the "10 HR Project" I have not addressed is the all important mental component. The 'memo has been read', the NBC TV footage has been absorbed, and I have personally dealt w/ the 'reality' of 140.6 miles of movement. It takes some mental fortitude to work through this event called Ironman.

With that being said, I think it is so important to envision greatness/accomplishing the goal that you are targeting/eyeing. In my case, I have worked through my mind too many times already breaking tape at IML 2009. Down to the smallest details in fact. The time clock above the finish line exhibiting my goal time. Gatorade stained white CRAFT jersey. My 'patent pending' air fist at shoulder height.

The key is this folks, all of these images are at the finish line. That is the key. You must embrace that end point and while you are in the process of suffering you can pull these images up and gain momentum when the body simply wants to stop. I used this to my advantage when rocking out the 18 miler this past Saturday. It works. Funny, just typing this out makes my HR to climb to about 90 bpm and my palms to start sweating.


Embrace the finish line friends and this will play a part in achieving the goals set before you.

See you at the line...

No comments:

Post a Comment