Can you complete/compete at the 140.6 distance w/ only 10 hrs of training per week?

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Fired Up" and Week 4 Totals

Day 37 - June 30, 2009 - Week 5
Comrades, Coach L is 'all fired' up. It has been a few days since I have checked in so here is a quick throw down...

Saturday - June 27, 2009
Executed one of my absolute favorite workouts. I can't take credit for creating this beast, but here it is (pulled it from the Saris site):












...the plan is to build up to doing 3-4 x 20 min 80-90% Threshold Power efforts pre-IML...

Monday - June 29, 2009
IML Strategy: to absorb all 112 miles of the IML bike course in 48 hrs. Some may wonder why not do all 112 in one 'go'. My mindset here is that I want to execute these miles with great vigor and strength and really learn from the course. If I were to go for 5 hrs straight on this thing I believe these miles would become 'junk miles'.

For those who have not taken on an Interactive Real Course Video I would strongly recommend it for those who do not have gobs of spare time to play with. If you are targeting an IM and want to truly KNOW the course prior to race day this is a must in my opinion. Throw the $1200 to $1600 for this gadget. These videos simply rock and (in my opinion) can crush you mentally and physically. Thus, the heavy emphasis on these in this "10 Hr Project".

I am elated to report that I was able to take on disc 1 and throw the following numbers:
61 miles, 3:02:15, ave RPM 96, ave Watts 230, ave MPH 20.1

...wore my IML attire; CRAFT Long Sleeve, Zoot Compression socks, 2XU Elite Suit, Rudy Aero Helmet...

Relevant note: w/ the heater and dehumidifier running simultaneously (fan on as well in front of Trek)I was able to take the temp from 82.4 to 94.6 in 3 hrs; thus the "Fired Up" reference in the title above...

Tuesday - June 30, 2009
Day 2 of the 112 'saturation'. Kept the press on force as close to Day 1 and tried to create similar conditions in the "Performance Lab"; 74.2 to 87.8.

Per conversations w/ Jim R (good friend and fellow triathlete) he has mentioned that the back end of the IML course is faster. Well, the numbers today support this:
51 miles, 2:20.43, ave RPM 93, ave Watts 255, ave MPH 21.8

I can't help but start strategizing from these numbers. Simple math tells me that this equates to a 5:20+/- for 112. We all know there are so many variables that can impact performance, but I would like to come of the bike as close to 5 hrs at IML (2008 qualifiers threw down a low of 4:59 to a high of 5:41). As noted in a previous post...one does not want to roast the legs for the run by over committing on the bike leg. So, I will continue to evaluate my additional "112 saturation days" against how my legs run immediately off the bike and in my Endurance Runs set for 24 hrs post this 48 hr block.

A stellar morning was had today and I am continuing to see the fruit of this "10 HR Project". Eager to be tested on game day in August.

I plan on doing a Dynamic/Corrective exercise session at mid-day out in front of Nomad (in the sun) if anyone would like to join me. 20 to 30 min of non-stop strength work focusing on 1 leg strength. Weighted vest, dumbbells, and some discomfort will be part of this party.

...less bike and a bit more running created the lower total volume seen to the left...



No comments:

Post a Comment