Can you complete/compete at the 140.6 distance w/ only 10 hrs of training per week?

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Not the ideal taper...or is it?

Day 84 - August 16, 2009 - Week 11
Back in May of this year when I started planning out this "10 Hr Project" I would have never constructed the taper I have been forced to follow. The mysterious R calf mishap that showed up out of no where two weeks ago has taken me down a much different path.

As I look back at my Kona prep of 2007 I find that I have done more training and feel much stronger/prepared. So, I am certainly at peace w/ not getting in that 20 miler that I had intended to hit last Saturday. Those who know me and who have been following this blog from the beginning also know that I trust fully in the Lord and His plans for this race.

This past Saturday I meet up w/ my good friend Mike Danenberg (http://performance-therapy.com/) to see what he could do with this. We covered much during this time together. I am not a big fan of changing shoes at this late stage of race prep, but per Mike's analysis he believes I need a bit more medial posting in my shoe. Therefore, I will move to using the Nike Glide (http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?sitesrc=uslp&country=US&lang_locale=en_US#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-241565/pgid-241567) in place of the Nike Lunar Trainer (http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?sitesrc=uslp&country=US&lang_locale=en_US#l=shop,pdp,cid-1/pid-246039/pgid-177955 ). The lack of medial support (in the Glide) may be promoting the medial belly of the gastroc to be over worked, which is promoting dysfunction in the calf.

Interestingly enough, this may also be the reason for the mysterious knee pain I had experienced on the medial side of my knee too several weeks/months ago. I praise God that this did not develop into a case of ITB per the notes above.

So, here we are left w/ less then 2 weeks before IML. The game plan at this time is to eliminate this dysfunction in my R calf and stay sharp.

I will try to get in a 'pain free' run tomorrow (Aug 17) after a 30 min warm up on the CT on the HCP 1 mile loop. Post this run I will then have a good feel for LKN and if this race will fit for the 2009 season. I don't want to dull my edge for IML per my efforts at LKN.

Have a great week! Coach Lance


No comments:

Post a Comment