Can you complete/compete at the 140.6 distance w/ only 10 hrs of training per week?

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Less is more

The "10 Hr Project" is certainly being lived out in this season of life.

After IML I took about a week off from training and then worked back into a rhythm. Training for IMF officially commenced on September 14th. Since then I have averaged 6 hrs and 40 min of training per week.

I have been dialing in on more higher threshold efforts w/ an emphasis on strength/power. The frequency has been 2 to 3 sessions a week regarding organized strength sessions.

Today reflected the 'less is more' methodology for sure. Below is a quick breakdown of how this day broke down:

  • 3 x 10 min efforts at a norm power of 310 watts and an ave HR of 140
  • Between each 10 min block the following strength regimen was employed:
Slide Board...60 reps
Walking Lunges w/ 20 to 30 lbs...32 reps
Push ups w/ 10 to 15 lbs row...12 reps
Deep Squats w/ 20 to 30 lbs...15 to 20 reps
Dynamic Forearm plank...1 to 2 min
  • 3.50 miles at tempo/threshold pace; 6:37 ave pace...146 ave HR...
What I love about this approach to training is that it leaves you wanting MUCH more when it is all said and done.

Sensing momentum building. Will be dialing in on a 15-17 miler at 7 to 6:50 pace and a 2 HR IMF race simulation ride before Take Flight this weekend w/ another strength session similar to the session noted above.

My only concern at this point is fine tuning my 'shark fighting' skills per my encounter in 2007 w/ SonniD at my side... ;)

Stay strong and stay focused...Coach L

1 comment:

  1. don't worry honey, I will go swimming with you in Florida and fight off the sharks, just like I do with mice!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete