Today proved to be the kind of day that left me thinking that IMF is doable for 2009.
At this stage of the game the goals are:
(1) Determine if the calf can take the loading that I intend to put on it at IMF
(2) To create the next progression toward sharpening the blade for IMF
There are 8 weeks before IMF and I am planning on upping the ante on the intensity aspect of things. Below is a summation of how this AM looked per the "IM in 10 Project" mindset/methodology.
This morning I prepped the legs w/ a a high intensity effort on the Tacx Flow that progressively built to 400 watts in the last 5 min segment. The game plan will be to widen these to up to 20 min at Functional Threshold Power (FTP). To further strengthen and stress the legs I jumped off the bike and hit 5 specific strength exercises w/ no rest:
(1) Slider board x 40 reps
(2) Deep Squats w/ shoulder press; 20 lbs x 12-15
(3) Dumbbell row push ups; 10 lbs x 10
(4) Alternating leg lunges on instability pad; 20 lbs x 20
(5) Stability ball back extension w/ "T"s; 3 lbs x 12-15
The fun really began later this afternoon w/ the 10 miler. Very happy to report that the calf held up very well to a 6:36 average pace for this run. The game plan is to run long tempo efforts for IMF. I ran this run at tempo pace and hope to work up to 15-17 miles at this pace. For IML I was not holding close to this pace so I am seeing the positive adaptations from Aug 30, 2009.
Hoping to hit another longer run effort off an IMF race simulation (1:00 to 1:30 at 220-250 watts) in the next 4 to 5 days to further determine if IMF will be a go or not. $1,800 is not pocket change and I do not want to drag my beautiful wife and mini-L to FL for a calf induced walk fest.
Have an outstanding day folks!