Can you complete/compete at the 140.6 distance w/ only 10 hrs of training per week?

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Rest

"I contstantly remind myself that resting takes confidence. Anyone can train like a mad man but to embrace rest and to allow all the hard training to come out takes mental strength" - Ryan Hall

When I read this quote this morning it brought me back to the days when I used to train like a mad man. I laugh now, but back then I was convinced that I was indestructable. There were periods of time where I'd train 21+ days straight with no rest day. The only thing that could stop me then was a broken leg. This was when I was in my early 20s.

Since then I have come to know my body and to listen to it. Instead of 'pushing through' and training with swollen glands I have opted to rest. When green mucus is rolling out of my nose I opt to rest. When my resting pulse is 15 beats higher then normal I see this as red flag worthy of my attention. When I feel medial heel pain presenting itself I foam roll the anterior and posterior tibialis (and surrounding muscle groups) to ward of plantar fasciitis. You get the idea.

In the months to come I hope to present a very new and promising training tool that I am currently 'test driving'. I believe it is a tool that could revolutionize how we train AND recover. I have been testing this tool for over 2 weeks and have found it to be very helpful in validating the stress/recovery phenomenon.

My hope for each of you that is reading this today is simple. You will take your recovery days as seriously as your traning days.

Train smart, listen to your body, and reach your potential,
Coach L




2 comments:

  1. could you sign Luke and Grace up with this tool? THEY rest, WE rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be all about signing them up, but I think they would fall short on the appropriate data entry and in gathering the all important data ;)

    ReplyDelete