Can you complete/compete at the 140.6 distance w/ only 10 hrs of training per week?

Monday, May 25, 2009

Training Commences

First Day - May 25, 2009
As noted in my last post this marks the beginning of the "10 hour project". The goal was to ride long Monday/Tuesday, but life is unpredictable and I sustained a very strange injury this weekend. My ICU wife could hardly look at it in fact. Bottom line, a marble sized contusion appeared on the medial side of my knee post the Saturday workout. Two possible causes: my awesome biff in the parking lot the day before FL 70.3 on my Trek or my knee nailing the top tube this Saturday while riding.

All this being said, riding and running is on the back burner for now. Hoping to be back on the horse by the end of the week.

Training Focus: 3000 meter time trial to assess water fitness/efficiency.

Data: 43:05 TET...this breaks down to a 1:26/100 m or 1:19/100 yd pace equivalent.

Notes: Form was sloppy and this was the first 'long' swim since...hum...Kona I believe. Stroke count fell within the 17 to 20/25 yds, thus the tag of sloppy above.

I will be executing this TT once a month leading up to IML as a means of assessing fitness and efficiency gains in the water. This will be the longest continuous swim I will use for IML.

It is relevant to note that I will also be employing a Lactate Balance Point (LBP) test monthly on the bike to verify my metabolic efficiency and ability to utilize lactate. Coupling the findings from the LBP and Critical Power (CP) test I will be able to strategize best for attacking IML. If the leg feels like 100% I may execute this test this week.

Day 1 complete....and approximately 9:15 hours left to 'spend'.

Happy Memorial Day! Thank you to all who have served and fought for my freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment