Can you complete/compete at the 140.6 distance w/ only 10 hrs of training per week?

Thursday, December 9, 2010

How 'it' all started


I can still remember the moment and store where my Ironman journey began. Back in the early 90s I found myself in the Jefferson Valley Mall (Yorktown Heights, NY) at Olympia Sports. Can't believe it, but the store is still there!

For some reason I was looking through the running apparel section and came upon a logo and a sticker that caught my eye. Below is the actual sticker that came with a pair of running shorts:


The challenge was presented to me that day as I read the back of that sticker. At that moment I was captivated by the fact that people actually did this. It was hard to imagine, but I was game and the hook was set in the roof of my mouth.

For laughs, take a look at the picture below of the shorts and the serious game face prior to the Triangle Triathlon. Back then I represented with a GT Strike Road Bike (an actual upgrade from my Mongoose Rockadile MTB) with clip on aerobars. Also take note of the video camera that is almost as big as my oversized transition bag. Evidently, I was prepared to go on vacation post Triangle.


I hope today that you too are captivated by the IM challenge. I am here to say that the challenge and the joy of embracing this event only gets better as you 'taste it' more and more.

May the 'hook' find the roof of your mouth too.

Train smart, think big...
Coach L

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!! Going on vacation post triathlon ha! How did you find the sticker! That's pretty wicked! and staying true to form you are warming up pre-start...so what were the 80's like?! HA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HP...I was very much a newbie to the sport at the time my friend. It was much simpler then for sure. Carbon what? Its been fun seeing the sport evolve.

    ReplyDelete